Friday, December 21, 2007

Surfing The Stars

I didn't know Jerry as a wind surfer, though I did know that was his passion. I knew him as a friend, fellow webmaster and flash designer. Matter of fact, a lot of what I know about Flash, began with Jerry. When I'd near completion, I'd send it to him for a quick look see and critique. He was always helpful with a comment, software solution or more.

Over the years I worked with him on a couple video projects, and saw first hand his knowledge and intensity. He believed in doing a project right, and would put in the time to make certain it met his customer's needs and specs.

A few years back, he spent hours at my home solving a network problem, trying everything he could, talking to his circle of other gurus. Finally, when we simply could NOT get it working... he drove all the way home, then back again, merely so he could try a different network card. And did he charge me? Nope, I did promise him dinner, although because that particular evening I had (romantic) plans, we postponed.

We of course cannot plan how we leave this world, and I'm sure Jerry did not know his minutes were numbered when he interacted to help a fellow human being. But then, is that not the way of heroes? Not to think of themself, instead to think of others, putting their needs above their own.

Here's a bible quote which I think sums it up...

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13).”

Jerry took that verse even further, paying the ultimate sacrifice to help someone whom he did not even know...

Jerry... I miss you man... and I honor your memory.

No comments: